With access to so much information, it’s fairly easy to learn the basics of even difficult repairs and builds. Maker culture seems to hang in the air; we, as a species, simply like making and repairing things.
Consider the many TV channels dedicated to home improvement. Hell, there’s a channel called DIY.
DIY is not simply an 80s punk ethic. Every day, so many people make and repair things on their own…or with the help of a community of like-minded people. Doing it yourself is the topic of this week’s show.
# # #
Here’s what we talk about this week:
- When’s the first time you did something yourself that someone else usually did for you?
- Do you consider yourself DIY?
- Is DIY synonymous with thriftiness? Are all DIYers cheap?
- What’s the coolest DIY project you’ve ever seen?
- The worst?
- What was the thing you tried to do yourself that you really shouldn’t have? Were you successful?
- What was your most successful DIY project?
- What’s something you’ve never done yourself that you think you could easily do, but don’t for whatever reason?
- What’s one project you’d like to try doing for yourself?
- Does technology make DIY easier?
- What’s the future of DIY?